On 4 May, the European Commission hosted the Coronavirus Global Response pledging event. The list of speakers includes several European and non-European Heads of States as well as health ministers, CEOs of pharma businesses, and representatives of international foundations and associations. By the end of the live-streamed event, the conference had raised €7.359.463.025 that will go into developing and deploying effective diagnostics, treatments and a vaccine.
The Commission has again approved several State aid schemes under the Temporary Framework that were launched by Member States to support their economies:
- a guarantee scheme of up to €530 million to support the Walloon economy in the coronavirus outbreak;
- several Danish schemes worth €130 million to support SMEs affected by the coronavirus outbreak;
- a €2 billion Slovenian guarantee and rent relief scheme to support companies affected by the coronavirus outbreak;
- a €101.5 million Lithuanian rent compensation scheme to support sectors affected by the coronavirus outbreak;
- a modification of Greek guarantee measure to support companies affected by the coronavirus outbreak.